Saturday, September 20, 2008

Butter Turkey mini-pies




Spent this morning packing the car and getting ready to head off to the Narooma Blues Festival & three weeks of R&R five star camping around the South Coast of NSW next weekend. Can't wait...have packed up my Cobb Oven & all sorts of F&B goodies (the back seat is a pretty impressive wine cellar right now).

Then thought I would have a crack at making some more mini-pies to munch on during the week. I had picked up a great little box of 12 assorted 75g jars of curry blends from the good folks at Mudgeeraba Spices and Curry Blends at The Good Food and Wine Show (an old favourite from the Gold Coast Farmers Markets and the amazing Brisbane Powerhouse Farmers Markets), and thought I would use their Butter Chicken Murgh Makhani Curry blend to make up some savoury little pies.
I like their Ingredients list: "Freshly ground pure spice" and "No colours, no preservatives, no salt, no sugar, no gluten, no free flowing agents, no MSG"...just pure ground spices! Great products.
Eventually decided to make "Butter Turkey" pies, using Turkey mince I spotted at Coles...added plenty of fresh mushrooms and a some peas, corn & diced carrots. Sweetened with some palm sugar & chopped in a couple more red chillies to keep them nice & savoury.
Smaller pies this time...muffin size (a bit odd with round bases & squarish tops...but you get that!)
Anyway, a bit of fun in the kitchen & very tasty!
A new Butter Pie for Sir Paul to sing about:
"I had another look
and I had a cup of tea
and a butter pie (butter pie)
(The butter wouldn`t melt
so I put it in the pie)"
Roll on Narooma!
PS The Broncos went down inside the last minute of the game last night after leading the entire match. Guess there's always next year. Well done brave team.