Friday, September 5, 2008

Mud crab boogie




Being a Queensland lad, it was never going to take me too long to get to the tender, juicy topic of mubcrabs.

I was lunching at Hope Estate in the Hunter last Sunday, and this subject came up, causing much debate about the very best way to cook and serve muddies.

"All of the above" I say...any mud crab done anyway is a good thing.

I spent 2 years managing a motel / lodge / resort complex in Torres Strait, and I used to buy muddies for the bistro from Boigu and Saibai Islands by the box load for a couple of dollars each. The locals were not the best at tieing them up, and of course, it was only a matter of time before one latched onto my wrist without warning.

Fortunately, I was in the tool shed sorting them...and was able to pick up a large metal file and splinter the offending claw in a split second, but still suffered for weeks afterwards.

That particular crab ended up in a pot of boiling salt water in the manager's quarters very, very quickly, and may even be the subject of one these photos.

That was "sweet" revenge indeed!

Favourite mud crab recipes please....